Monday, March 24, 2014

Hope Even When You are Melting-Sermon Preached at Longs UMC March 23, 2014

This sermon was preached in Memory of Louise Hunter Greenwood and Robert Brown.  Both who showed amazing faith and hope in the midst of "melting." 

 





I am so excited to share with you the good news of the faithful obedience of Jesus Christ and what that means for us that I don’t know whether to shout, to cry tears of joy, or to dance. Paul gives us a clue in this text, we are to celebrate and so celebrate is what I am going to do today.  I am going to celebrate  Just as Paul celebrated in being able to share the magnificence of God, in his justification, his suffering and his reconciliation with God, we today have these very things to celebrate so let’s not waste any time Let’s celebrate!

We continue looking this morning at Paul’s letter to the Romans.  We are given an interpretive clue right off the bat when the first word of our text is therefore.  Whenever we see the word therefore in the Bible, the writer is saying make sure you know and understand what I just wrote before you proceed forward.  In this instance Paul is talking about the fact that he has just established that both Jew and Greek are part of the covenant God made with Abraham.  Israel doesn’t have dibs on God’s grace and love.  God’s grace, love and peace are for all. Knowing that we can all approach the next part of the text knowing it is for us, justified by Christ’s faithful obedience even unto death.  That is the first thing we celebrate!  We celebrate that while there is nothing we can do to justify ourselves, Christ’s faithful obedience unto death has justified us.  In that moment we were pardoned and the restoration of ourselves into the image of God we were created to be began!  NT Wright says that in his death Jesus has ushered us all who believe into a room where we now stand, a place characterized by the presence and sustaining love of God” This is the grace into which we stand and that is something to be celebrated! 

Paul says hold onto your seat though.  If you think that’s great there is more.  Not only do we celebrate in being justified, at peace with God, standing in God’s grace.  We also celebrate in our suffering.  What?  What do you mean celebrate in our suffering?  I will never forget the moment I got the call that my best friend’s mom was quickly losing her battle with cancer at the young age of 43. I was devastated, I was in my first year of seminary and I was already in the midst of questions that I didn’t know the answers to.  Many first year students in seminary talk about losing their Jesus.  I was quickly losing my Jesus and this wasn’t helping matters.  Louise’s life had been marked by more suffering than any one person should have to endure and I didn’t understand.  That question of where God is when bad things happen to good people was coming to the forefront of my thoughts and my confusions.  In that moment a good friend looked at me and said “I envy Louise right now.”  He went onto explain to me that “Louise is knowing God right now more intimately and more fully then I could ever imagine, and I envy that.  He was right, when asked for a word as she laid on her death bed she awoke for just long enough to recite Psalm 91 which includes a promise for long life.  Yet, there she lay dying.  This week our community lost a wonderful man when they lost Robert Brown.  We’ve been praying for Robert over the last 3 years.  Elsie has requested prayer for him.  Andrew has requested prayer for him.  Many of us know and love his wife and know all the suffering she has endured over the years.  Our hearts hurt as she and Robert battled this cancer together over the last 3 years.  Last Sunday at Long’s Chapel Robert gave his “God Story” through video to the congregation.  The video was taped within the couple of weeks preceding and Robert knew his battle with cancer was near its end.  As the members of Long’s chapel watched that video, Robert laid in a bed at the Homestead Hospice with one foot still here and the other in the very presence of God.  What did Robert say in his God story?  He said:

 “Even though I am melting as we speak I’m so glad I’ve made it to this day.  As I look around, I thank God for the gifts that he’s given me and that I got to lie to this time.  There’s always hope.  My story is to say as I fought through the cancer I was dealing with stuff that made me realize that everyone has struggles in life.  I am not alone.  With God I am not alone, I am never alone.  And he has given me the strength to see through, as I’ve told my wife recently, I can do this with God, I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.  That is where I am in my life.  I have not given up hope and I know that he’s behind me and he’s behind my family and those who are losing hope have to know that hope is always here, right behind the chair you’re sitting in.  I couldn’t sit here any longer, I wanted to come and share with you that there is hope.”[1]

 

He knew he was dying…..yet there was still hope.  You see friends when we are suffering we are not alone.  God is with us and gives us the endurance and strength.  Write these words down.  Suffering produces endurance, endurances produces character, character produces hope.  Now say it with me suffering produces endurance, endurance produces character, character produces hope.  Don’t forget that.  We have hope because we have God’s love poured into our hearts by the Holy Spirit who is always with us!  That is something to celebrate! 

                But wait……there is more.  After Paul expounds on God’s love for us, his great love for us that is so great that even when we are alienated from God, even when we are hostile toward God, we are reconciled to God through Jesus.  He says yep, there is even more to celebrate.  Not only are we justified, not only do we have hope even in our suffering, but we have received reconciliation.  I looked up the word reconciliation in the Eerdmans’s dictionary of the Bible.  It says that to be reconciled means that there is a changed relationship in which formerly estranged persons experience a restored harmony.  Because of the faithful obedience of Jesus Christ we are reconciled to God.  “God is the perfect reconciler.  Death and resurrection restored all people to a right relationship with God and summoned every believer to cooperate in this ministry of reconciliation.” (Erdman, 1112-1113) 2 Corinthians 5:18says: “All this is from God, who reconciled us to himself through Christ, and has given us the ministry of reconciliation.”  We celebrate today in the fact that we through the death and resurrection of Christ we are everyone invited into reconciliation with God.  God is always there, never leaves us, and never forsakes us.  Now we are to respond to that by seeking reconciliation in our world, in our communities, in our church, in our families.  Who do you need to reconcile with this morning.  Who are you estranged from?  Who do you hold a grudge against and avoid being around.   My friend God reconciled God’s self to you, won’t you take the steps to reconcile with others. 

                In a few moments we are invited to the table to feast on the gifts of the body and blood of Jesus Christ.  We come to the table in celebration of the fact that God loves deeply each and every one of us.  We come to the table in celebration of the fact that by the faithful obedience of Jesus Christ we have been pardoned.  We come to the table in celebration of even our times of suffering for in those times of suffering we are made strong and given hope through the outpouring of God’s love through the presence of the Holy Spirit with us.  We come to the table in celebration of the fact that we are reconciled with God. 

                We are going to sing our song of response this morning.  It is a song that celebrates that marvelous infinite grace of God in which we stand.  The altar is open this morning.  As you celebrate your reconciliation with God, as you celebrate standing in this room of grace that Jesus brings you into, do you need to bring others into the room of God’s grace by way of extending that grace to others?  Make that commitment today, either where you sit or stand or here at this altar. Now, let’s celebrate this marvelous, infinite Grace in which we stand.  In the name of the Father, the Son and the Holy Spirit Amen. 



[1] Robert’s full story can be seen at http://www.longschapel.com/media.php?pageID=106

No comments:

Post a Comment