Monday, March 17, 2014

Yes, But

Luke 9:57-62

57 As they were walking along the road, a man said to him, “I will follow you wherever you go.”
58 Jesus replied, “Foxes have dens and birds have nests, but the Son of Man has no place to lay his head.”
59 He said to another man, “Follow me.”
But he replied, “Lord, first let me go and bury my father.”
60 Jesus said to him, “Let the dead bury their own dead, but you go and proclaim the kingdom of God.”
61 Still another said, “I will follow you, Lord; but first let me go back and say goodbye to my family.”
62 Jesus replied, “No one who puts a hand to the plow and looks back is fit for service in the kingdom of God.”

I can't help but think of Whoopi Goldberg and Sister Act when I read that first verse.  However the upbeat song and dance of Sister Act doesn't match well with the rest of the scene here.  Three different men are called to discipleship and three different men have excuses for delaying their response to the call.  This hits home with me.  I played the yes, but game with God for Six years.  It just didn't make sense to me that God would call me to quit my job, let go of the security, calling not only me but my family to that kind of sacrifice.  In my mind I was putting my family first.  We couldn't live without my salary.  It seemed illogical to me.  Yes, God I will proclaim the good news but surely you only want me to do that part time.  Yes, God, I will proclaim the good news but I'm only a few years away from retirement, let me retire first and maintain my security.  Yes.....but.  Jesus lets the disciples know here that there is not room for yes, buts in discipleship.  To be a disciple is to become like Jesus.  It's not an easy road.  You may find yourself homeless.  There will be times that discipleship conflicts with family responsibilities. These are tough words, these are hard words.  There are still times that I question the wisdom of giving up my social work salary, taking on new debt, and leaving my family for half the week.  There are certainly others who think I'm crazy.  Who does that at 45 years old?  What I can tell you is that I have no regrets.  I've never felt more free then I do right now, being obedient to the call no matter how crazy it may seem.  I've never felt more free then I do right now, depending on God for my every need.  God provides, God is with us.  What have you been saying yes, but to.  Commit to your Yes right now.  You will not regret it! 

2 comments:

  1. Amen Kelly! I'm in a similar situation. So I fully understand what you're saying here. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're welcome Shanna, thanks for reading!

    ReplyDelete