Tuesday, February 23, 2016

The Source of our Satisfaction-The Second Sermon in a 7 Part series on the "I Am" Sayings of Jesus. Based on Rob Fuquay's Book: "The God We Can Know"

            In 1965 the Rolling Stones released the single “I Can’t Get No Satisfaction.” In 2004 Rolling Stone Magazine placed the song in the number two spot of the 500 Greatest Songs of all time.  Since that time covers of the song have been done by eight different artists, the most recent being a cover by Brittany Spears in 2000.[1]  This notion of being unable to find satisfaction in life has existed from the beginning of time when Adam and Eve were not satisfied with being unable to eat the forbidden fruit.  There can always be something better.  A quick search of the phrase “not satisfied with my life” yielded 4,320,000 results.  Do any of these sound familiar? 
I feel like I am always relying on someone or something to make me happy and I am constantly disappointed. I thought having a six pack would bring me happiness and body peace, while it did not. I know people say clothes and material items don’t bring happiness, but it strangely has for me, I guess by just making me feel more confident and able to express my individuality. I keep hoping the guy I speak to is the same guy I loved years ago, just to find out that he is not. I feel so lonely; my friends all turned against me because they decided to party and drink while I chose to abstain. I feel like I will never be happy. I feel like I can’t take a hold of my life and control my happiness. I have no one to spend time with. My life seems to revolve around a hope for a better, happier future. I feel like I am living with my future happiness and not now. I want to feel happiness, but I don’t know how.[2]

It doesn't matter what I do, where I go, or where life takes me ... I am never happy. What else is there to say? Nothing is ever quite right or good enough for me, including myself. There's always something wrong with my job, my house, my friends, my religion, my finances, my yard, my health, etc. The grass is ALWAYS greener on the other side, and I spend ALL of my time trying to get to the other side.[3]

We live in a world where advertisements are always luring us to the next best greatest thing to improve our lives and give us satisfaction.  Yet songs like I can’t get no satisfaction are number one hits because the products, the stuff, the things and the people in our lives fail to deliver on their promises.  We fill our lives and our calendars and our homes full of stuff, yet we are still not satisfied.  The disciples in our story today were no different.  They too were seeking for satisfaction in all the wrong places and Jesus is there to give them the gift of where the true source of our satisfaction comes from.  In fact both our Old Testament and our New Testament passages of scripture this morning point us to the source of satisfaction.  It gives us the answer to the age old complaint that we can’t get no satisfaction. 
            The Exodus story is set in the wilderness, after the Israelites have been delivered from Egypt and are traveling through the wilderness on their way to the Promised Land of Canaan.  There was enough time between their time in Egypt and the present for them to forget the misery they had fled.  They were hungry and remembering, not the back breaking labor, the slavery, and the maltreatment they had endured and fled from, but the pots of meat they sat around and ate from.  They grumbled to Moses.  They accused him of bringing them into the desert to die.  Surely this is not what salvation is like. 
            God heard their complaints and gave Moses a message that God would satisfy their hunger.  He promised to provide daily bread for them, “rained down from heaven.”  There was a catch though. This is our first clue about being truly satisfied.  God told Moses that they were to only gather enough food for that day.  They were not to store up the bread that he provided.  The only time they were to gather more than that days’ worth of bread was on the 6th day when they were instructed to gather two days’ worth so they would not have to gather on the Sabbath.  What happened if they gathered more?  It spoiled, it would be no good to them the next day.  Satisfaction was not equivalent to storing up stuff.  Satisfaction came from God and came by living in the present moment and depending on God to provide for the needs of the day. 
            Fast forwarding to our focal passage in the book of John we must understand the back story leading up to the scripture we have heard this morning.  Jesus had just performed the miracle of the feeding of the 5,000.  Again, who was the source of the satisfaction of the hunger of the crowd that day?  It was Jesus.  Who is Jesus?  God.  Who is the source of our satisfaction, God. 
            Moving on, John then records the miracle of Jesus walking on water.  The disciples in the boat were amazed.  When the boat came to shore the crowd was looking for Jesus and when they found him there was an exchange between Jesus and the crowd.  Jesus tells them they aren’t looking for him because of the miraculous signs but because he had fed them.  He tells them that they should not work for food that spoils but for food that endures and he identifies that as the food that leads to eternal life.  Where does he say this comes from?  It comes from “the Son of Man.” Who is the son of Man?  The message translates that phrase as the human one.  God made flesh in Jesus Christ.  He tells them “the work of God is this:  to believe in the one God has sent, to believe in Jesus.  To believe is to trust.  We are to trust God for our satisfaction. 
            Here is where you are going to hear something very familiar.  The crowd has already witnessed miraculous signs but that is not enough for them.  They asked Jesus:  “What miraculous sign then will you give that we may see and believe you!”  They then reference the provision of the Manna in the time of Moses. What they had already seen and experienced was not enough.  They make a comparison to another place and another time and they want that miracle.  Moses gave us manna, what are you going to give us. Jesus reminds that that Moses is not the one that gave them the bread from heaven but it was God.  Who provides the satisfaction?  God.  It is not what but who!  The people respond:  “this is the bread we want, give us that bread.”  Then comes the “I Am” statement for the day.  Jesus says “I am the bread of life.  He who comes to me will never go hungry, he who believes in me will never go thirsty.  Who gives us satisfaction?  Who is the source?  It is Jesus.  The crowd didn’t need more miraculous signs.  They had already seen and experienced the signs and that did not lead to their belief.  What would the result be of Jesus giving them what they asked for?
            There is a scene in the movie BruceAlmighty that illustrates this well.[4]  In this movie the main character, played by Jim Carey, had been complaining much about God.  As a result he is given divine powers to show him just how hard it is to control the world.  There is a scene in the movie in which Bruce is trying to figure out how to handle prayer requests.  Going through several ideas from filing cabinets to post it notes, he settles on using an email program to handle the influx of prayer requests.  This did not prove to be any easier.  The requests just kept pouring in.  Finally, he makes the decision to answer all requests at once with the word yes as he says, “there that should make everybody happy.”  However, the next day, while some people got very rich and wealthy and were happy, there was also an influx of catastrophes around the world resulting from that yes.   Sometimes a yes is not what is best for us.  It does not truly bring us satisfaction.  It is like the Garth Brooks song says “sometimes I thank God for unanswered prayers.  There are times when what we ask for, what we beg for, is not what is in our best interest.  Our satisfaction doesn’t come from a God who says yes to everything.  Our satisfaction comes from trusting and believing in a God who is ever present with us and knows what is best for us. 
            It is interesting to me that in both the Old Testament story and the New Testament story hunger is the center of the story.  What does this tell us about the power of hunger?  What is it that you hunger for?  What is the fullness you are chasing after?  Do any of these phrases sound familiar?  “If only my spouse would come home from work on time every day, then I would be happy.”  If only I had 100.00 dollars a month more, then I would feel secure.”  “If only I could have a house with one more bedroom than I currently have, I would be content.”  If only I could have the next model of car up…..and the list could go on.  What is your “if only” statement?  Here is the thing.  When we live life chasing the “if only” we miss out on the gifts of the present moment.  Instead of living life, we spend our life chasing things. 
            This notion of being satisfied with the present is something I have personally been under conviction about in the last several months.  I find myself thinking more about what I want than what I have in the area of relationships, in the area of finances and in the area of health.  My personal devotional life has led me to understand that today is a gift and it is a gift that holds many gifts.  I have discovered that Yes, the source of satisfaction comes from my relationship with Jesus and from recognizing the presence of God in every moment of my life.  While I believe this to be true, it takes intentional practice to live into this belief. 
            How do we get to that place where we discover Jesus as the source of satisfaction?  In the book that provides the foundation for this series, The God We Can Know, Rob Fuquay offers three practices that can help us to get to this place.[5] As we continue into this Lenten season of preparation I would encourage you to consider taking up one or more of these practices. 
            The first practice is fasting.  Fasting can be abstaining from anything that has the potential for unhealthy control over us.  It can be food, it can be technology, it can be spending money.  Rob states that the most effective way to determine what it is you would fast from is to ask yourself what the hardest thing for you to go without is.  Fasting can be a continuous thing or it can be for specific times of the week or the day.  I have one pastor colleague who only eats one meal on Thursdays.  He fasts from the time he wakes up until dinner time and then he eats a very simple meal for dinner on that day.  Rob lists several reasons fasting can be a beneficial spiritual practice.  First, “the discomfort of going without something we enjoy is meant to be a routine way of recalling the suffering of Christ on our behalf.”  Rob reminds us that John Wesley fasted “because of the way it opened him to the power of God.”  Also, when we fast we open up room for other things.  Rob states that “in skipping a meal we make time to pray or serve.  In shutting off technology we are more available to family and friends.”  One lady I know practices disconnecting on Sundays.  Saturday night, before she goes to sleep, she literally deletes all social media apps from her phone so that she is not even tempted to get sucked into social media on that day.  She reserves “Sondays” to be unplugged from the world and be exclusively plugged into her face to face relationships.  If we fast from certain spending habits we make room to have more to give away.   Finally, we fast as a way of self-denial.  We deny ourselves so that our appetites don’t consume us. 
            Another practice Rob encourages is the practice of “moving from expecting to accepting.”  This is the practice that I have been focusing on for the last several weeks.  This is the practice of “learning to accept what God puts in front of us each day.”  This practice leads us to a different way of praying.  There was a song that was popular on the Christian charts back in the late 80s called thenever ending shopping list by songwriter Larry Bryant.  In the song he starts out thanking God for his blessings in a short “thank you God for my blessings” sentence.  He then goes on to list all the things he wants.  The chorus of the song says “GIVE ME THIS, I WANT THAT BLESS ME LORD I PRAY, GRANT ME WHAT I THINK I NEED TO MAKE IT THROUGH THE DAY. MAKE ME WEALTHY, KEEP ME HEALTHY, FILL IN WHAT I MISSED. ON MY NEVER-ENDING SHOPPING LIST.”[6]  Throughout the song he lists all the things he wants like white teeth, a different smile, and a brand new car.  It is an exaggeration of what our prayers might be like but I suspect that many of us have had moments where our prayers turn into a Santa clause type wish list for God.    When we are concentrating on accepting what God puts in front of us each day, on living in the gift of the present our prayers change.  “Real satisfaction comes when we pray “Lord thank you for what is being set before me today.  Help me to recognize and enjoy the special blessings you will offer me.  I am going to choose to be thankful.”  Perhaps you, like me, need to find the satisfaction of the present and the presence of God that we can find within the present moment. 
            A final practice of satisfaction Rob suggests is “focusing on making others full instead of making yourself full.”  He closes the chapter with this paragraph:  “We discover the value of the journey when we make Christ our sustenance.  When Jesus is my bread of life, I can let go of that need to get all I can for myself and have life my way.  I am free to give and share and enjoy.  I can say to God. Lord, you’ve already given me what I need for satisfaction, so I’m just going to enjoy it and look for ways to share it.” 
            “I am the Bread of Life.”  That is the “I Am” statement for this week.  Can you see Jesus as the source of satisfaction?  Can you commit today to live in the present and enjoy the moments that God has gifted us with.  Can you place your trust in God to provide for your daily needs?  Can you find satisfaction in your relationship with Jesus Christ?  Can we turn the statement I can’t get no satisfaction, into the declaration that I believe in the power and presence of Jesus Christ to sustain me and bring peace into my life?  In the name of the Father, the Son and the Holy Spirit-the source of our satisfaction.  Amen.


[1] https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/%28I_Can't_Get_No%29_Satisfaction
[4] The Idea for this illustration came from http://robfuquay.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/09/Sermon-Guidelines-Week-1-7.pdf, last accessed 2/23/2016.
[5] Fuquay, Rob, The God We Can Know, Exploring the “I Am” Sayings of Jesus, (Nashville, Upper Room Books, 2014) pp. 32-36  (The remainder of this sermon is either a paraphrase or direct quotes from this book.  This entire sermon is based on the reading of Chapter 2 of this book:  “I Am The Bread of Life”-Knowing God’s Satisfaction-pp 25-37

No comments:

Post a Comment